In Western Pennsylvania and across the nation, important habitats are imperiled, threatening biodiversity and undermining people’s quality of life.
Wildlife flourishes and people thrive in those once-imperiled habitats, through strategic land protection, stewardship, and activation, and sustainable economic development that deploys renewable energy and new technologies that foster livable communities and healthy natural systems.
- Protecting large landscapes with high biodiversity
- Conserving forests, estuaries, coastal area, and other critical ecosystems
- Connecting habitats with high biodiversity
- Enhancing ecosystems
- Fostering collaboration with regional, national, and international partners
- Building strong rural economies in areas adjacent to conserved land
- Promoting sustainable use of natural resources to improve quality of life
- Broadening the conservation movement
- Fostering the use of renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable use of natural resources
- Advancing novel sustainable technologies
- Improving environmental factors that affect people’s quality of life
Apply for Funding
Since 1947, the Richard King Mellon Foundation has invested in the future of southwestern Pennsylvania.Apply Now